Before we get to that, I wanted to give a quick update on Peru. There will be a video and longer update to come but for now, I just wanted to give the highlights. It was an amazing trip! We saw the most divine appointments we've ever seen on a trip! Our team was able to lead around 20 people in putting their trust in Christ! We were able to give out just under 100 New Testaments to people who didn't have God's Word! Again, it was such an awesome trip and I'll have more in-depth stories in the next update!
During our time in Peru, there was a lot of travel time where I was able to listen to an audio book on the life of Hudson Taylor. One of the things I came away with was the great need for prayer in any ministry. I've always known that but it really challenged me to be in prayer more for our ministry and to challenge our supporters to be in prayer more for the ministry.
So without further delay, I give you guys the Christian Challenge Prayer Challenge. I want to challenge you to give 5-10 minutes a day praying for the ministry. If that sounds like not much, go for more. I suggest praying for it during your morning so you don't forget. If the ministry comes to mind later in the day, pray for it then too. I'm challenging you to do it for 14 days. If you can make it that far, take it another 14 days. I know I might be asking a lot but it's so important and so worth it.
I'm going to give you the normal prayer requests section below but here are our event dates (which could change a bit) you can be praying for as well:
Aug. 26th...Student Leadership Retreat
Aug. 27th...Freshman Move-in, Prayer Walking Campus, New Student Club Fair, Frisbee, Cafeteria Dinner with Students
Aug. 28th...Prayer Walking Campus, Lunch with Students, Football in the Quad
Aug. 29th...Larping Event on Campus, Dinner and Free Garage Sale (Giveaway) for International Students
Aug. 30th...Brunch, Drive Students to Church, Campus Pizza Party
Aug. 31st...First Day of Class, On Campus All Day, Nighttime Slacklining and Hang Out to Meet New Students
Sept. 1st...On Campus All Day, Christian Challenge
Sept. 2nd...Day of Rest
Sept. 3rd...All Student Club Fair, Family Dinner, Freshman Q&A
Sept. 4th...Bible Study, Night Hike
Sept. 5th...Lunch with Students, Discover Durango
Sept. 6th...Brunch, Church, Jumping Waterfalls
After this, we settle into our normal schedule being on campus most of the week discipling. Christian Challenge will be on Tuesday nights. Once we talk with the international students and find out their schedules, our conversational English class will get scheduled in. We're hoping to have it before Family Dinners. Family Dinners will be on Thursday nights. Here are the rest of our big dates for the month:
Sept. 8th...Christian Challenge
Sept. 10th...Family Dinner
Sept. 11th-12th...Fall Getaway (First Retreat)
Sept. 13th...Brunch, Church
Sept. 15th...Christian Challenge
Sept. 17th...Family Dinner
Sept. 19th...Game Night
Sept. 20th...Brunch, Church
Sept. 22nd...Christian Challenge
Sept. 24th...Family Dinner
Sept. 25th-26th...La Plata Canyon Camping and Hiking Trip
Sept. 27th...Brunch, Church
Sept. 29th...Christian Challenge
Hopefully, those are more specific things you can be praying for throughout the month. Look below for our normal prayer request section.
Now, I just had an idea come to me as I was writing all of this. If it's terrible, my feelings won't be hurt if you discard it...but it might be kind of cool to do. If you're on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, post the time, date and hashtag it #prayingforFLC every time you pray for the ministry. This would remind our staff and students that we've got people praying for us when they get on social media. And hey, maybe it gets others who see it to pray for FLC as well. If you're not into the social media thing, no worries but still be praying.
Thank you for all the support and encouragement you give! We are super thankful for that! Keep us, the ministry, and the FLC campus in your prayers!
Cheers and God Bless,
Mike and Rachel
If the Lord is leading you to give, follow this link to our giving options:
- Last year, we had a great group of solid students who eventually became leaders in the ministry. It was a big answered prayer. Pray that we would have an awesome group of student leaders again this year.
- As the semester get busier, it's easy to neglect things big and small. We get so focused on ministry that we lose track of the things that help keep us going. We lose track of taking care of ourselves. Pray we have energy and get good sleep throughout the busy semester.
- With as many things as the ministry does, it's easy to take on way too much and get burnt out. This is especially true in the first month. By the end of September, we just sort of expect it. Pray that we would be good stewards with our time so that we don't fall into burnout.
- Throughout the year, the semester can wear on you and it can be easy to find yourself discouraged at times. It happens in just about any ministry at one point or another. Pray that God would keep us and our staff encouraged throughout the year.
- Being Christians, we are in a spiritual battle. When you do ministry, you become a bigger target in that battle. Keep praying for us and our team that God would protect us this year from any spiritual attacks. Pray that God would give us the strength and encouragement to endure. Also pray for everyone praying for our ministry because when you pray for the ministry, you become a bigger target as well.
- Atheism is a big belief system at FLC. On any given year, about half of the students we work with are atheists or non-believers. Pray that God would open doors for the Gospel to be received and understood. Pray that the Holy Spirit would be working on the hearts and minds of the students we are going to meet.
- Over the years, our staff has had a lot of health issues that can really be a discouragement. Our most successful years have been when we have good health. Pray that God would keep our staff safe and healthy.
- Though we have been underfunded at different times in our ministry, things have been especially tight over the past 6 months. We trust God to provide but would appreciate you praying as well that the funding needs would be met. If you would like to give for the coming semester, there is still time. Go to: Give Now!